I judged last year and will do so again this year. I can attest it's a very fun and rewarding experience. The best part is you can say how many books and in what genres you're willing to judge.
Here the details from the EPIC website:
While the competitions are obviously about the entrants, we wouldn't be able to pull this off without our judges. We appreciate the participation of authors, publishers, and editors. Thank you for your support!
Consider the judging schedule when indicating your availability and how many entries you can take:
- Preliminary round judging - after June 5 through July 22.
- Judges will read first three chapters and evaluate the entry.
- Categories exempt from the Preliminary Round are: Children's, Short Works, Poetry.
- First Round judging - August 1 through September 7.
- Judges will read the entire book in this round.
- Final Round judging - September 17 through October 12.
- Judges will read all finalists in the category assigned; maximum number of finalists will be six.
Fill out a Judge's registration form here.