1. My heart. It may have a stent implanted in it, a leaky valve and other assorted problems my doctors and I now have to continue to watch out for, but hey, it's still tickin' and for that, I'm very grateful.
2. Bruce. My partner in life, light of my life, my everything. Oh, it's so good to have someone by your side and taking selfless good care of you when something like this happens (and even when something like this doesn't). I love and treasure my man and don't know how I got so lucky...so I'm really thankful we found each other eight years ago.
3. Nick. My son, who has always been the "creation" I'm most proud of (although he is most certainly his own man), stood by me during this difficult time with humor, compassion, and warmth that made its way to me all the way from Montreal.
4. Susan and Melissa. My big sister and little sister, respectively. Thank you both so much for calling every day and for the concern and love you sent across the miles. You may be all that's left of my immediate family, but you're all I need.
5. Lily. Yes, she's a dog. But her joy at seeing me when I came home from the hospital was indescribable. The love in those big brown eyes is more healing balm than all those medications they sent me home from the hospital with.
6. Venus and Chandra. My good friends in Chicago, who have become real family to me and show it constantly, even though we have been apart now for four years.
7. Verniqua. My best friend in Seattle...his very presence at the hospital demonstrated so much.
8. You. I was overwhelmed by the messages, the tweets, the flowers, the cards, and all the concern so many of you showed me over these past few days. I am truly grateful that all of you are out there, whether I have met you in person or only virtually, you're kindness means more to me than I can put into words.
I wish all of you the happiest of Thanksgivings...and want to express my gratitude and love to each and every one of you, from the bottom of my damaged little heart.